Triple Berry Chia Jam
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chia seed
- 1 package Pillsbury™ refrigerated Pie Crusts, softened as directed on package
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 to 2 tablespoons almond milk
- In 1-quart nonreactive saucepan, stir blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, granulated sugar and orange juice. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture cooks down and thickens. Remove from heat; stir in chia seed. Transfer jam to medium bowl; cool 30 minutes at room temperature, then refrigerate at least 30 minutes until cooled.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper. Unroll pie crusts on work surface; roll each crust to 12-inch circle. With sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut each crust into 8 wedges. Place 4 wedges on each cookie sheet.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons jam in centre of each wedge on cookie sheets. Spread to within 1/2 inch of edges. Brush edges of crust with egg wash. Top with remaining pie crust wedges. Press edges with fork to seal. Prick tops 4 times with fork. Brush tops of tarts lightly with egg wash.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes; transfer pies to cooling rack to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In small bowl, stir icing sugar, vanilla and 1 tablespoon almond milk to make smooth icing; if needed, add milk 1 teaspoon at a time to desired consistency. Spread about 1 tablespoon icing on top of each fully cooled pie. Let icing set completely before serving.
- Swap almond milk for soy or regular milk, if desired.
- Swap homemade jam for 1 cup store-bought preserves or jam, if desired.