Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 30 min
Fluffy, cinnamon-sugar coated, malasada-like donuts injected with sweet and tangy strawberry-rhubarb filling.
- 5 cups of canola oil, for frying
- 1 can (10 count) Pillsbury™ refrigerated Country Biscuits
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, to taste
- 1/2 cup sliced rhubarb (fresh or thawed from frozen)
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Fill a medium-large pot with the oil (a Dutch oven works great!). The oil should rise at least 2 1/2 inches high within the pot and easily accommodate three biscuits at a time. Heat the oil to 375°F (yes, a thermometer is a must!).
- Meanwhile, line a cooling rack with paper towels. Toss the cinnamon and sugar together in a bowl and set aside.
- Once the oil reaches the correct temperature, use metal tongs or a slotted spoon to carefully place two the three biscuits into the pot. Fry the biscuits for 2-3 minutes on each side. Once done, carefully remove the donuts with a slotted spoon (allowing excess oil to drip back into the pot) and let drain on the paper towels.
- Be sure to check and adjust the temperature of the oil as you go. It should always be between 360°F to 375°F.
- After the donuts have cooled and drained slightly, toss them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Set aside and continue with the remaining biscuits.
- Once all of the donuts have been made, it is time to fill them. Use a chopstick or wooden dowel to slightly hollow out the center of each donut. Do not poke the chopstick out the other side.
- Place the rhubarb and strawberries in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the sugar and cook until the fruit begins to break down and juices begin to simmer, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the cornstarch in the lemon juice. Stir the lemon juice mixture into the rhubarb and cook for a few minutes. Remove the mixture from the stove and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until thickened.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a round piping tip with the cooled strawberry-rhubarb filling. Place the tip in the end of each donut and gently fill the centers. Do not over-fill.
- Donuts are best enjoyed the same day as they are made.
- Strawberry-Rhubarb Donuts.