Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 3 hr 20 min
Rhubarb lends a tangy bite to a strawberry tart. Use fresh or frozen (unsweetened).
- 1/2 package Pillsbury™ refrigerated Pie Crusts, softened as directed on package
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) almond extract
- 3 cups (750 mL) coarsely sliced fresh rhubarb
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced frest strawberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter or margarine, cut into pieces
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Place pie crust in 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom as directed on box for One-Crust Filled Pie. Trim edges if necessary.
- In large bowl, beat eggs with electric mixer on medium speed until light. Beat in granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons flour and the almond extract until well blended. Alternately layer rhubarb and strawberries into crust-lined pan. Pour egg mixture over fruit.
- In small bowl, mix brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour and the nutmeg. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over top.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is set in center. Cool completely, about 2 hours. Remove side of pan; cut tart into wedges. Store in refrigerator.
- One bag (1 pound) frozen unsweetened rhubarb can be used in place of the fresh rhubarb in this tart. Increase baking time to 55 to 65 minutes.