- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 package Pillsbury™ refrigerated Pie Crusts
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and prepare your ingredients.
- Remove pie crust from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature. Place pie crust into pie pan and poke bottom and sides with a fork. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown. Cool.
- Place the rhubarb in a large bowl and then add in the sugar, 2 large eggs, flour and vanilla. Mix together with a spoon. Place filling into cooled crust.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F and bake pie for 35-45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and rhubarb is tender. Cool on a cooling rack while preparing meringue.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Beat in 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff and glossy (do not underbeat). Spread meringue over rhubarb mixture to edge of crust.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. (Cover crust edges with foil if they are getting too brown.) Cool at least 1 hour before serving. Rhubarb pie can be soft-set; feel free to serve in bowls instead of plates, with vanilla ice cream on top!