- 3 boxes (400 g) refrigerated Pillsbury™ Pie Crusts (2 count) (6 crusts total)*
- 12 half-pint (8 oz/250 mL), wide-mouth canning jars with lids, washed, dried
- 1 can (796 mL) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (354 mL each) evaporated milk
- 4 eggs
- Heat oven to 425°F (220°C). Unroll 3 pie crusts; cut each into quarters to make 12 quarters total.
- Place 1 pie crust quarter in each jar, pressing and moulding as necessary to fit bottom and sides. Pinch tears together to eliminate any holes.
- In large bowl, beat pumpkin, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, salt, evaporated milk and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. To make pouring pumpkin mixture into jars easier, pour mixture into 4-cup glass measuring cup or glass pitcher. Divide mixture evenly among jars.
- With remaining pie crusts, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips for lattice tops. Weave strips basket-style on top of pies. With fingers, gently wet top crusts with water. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Freeze pies 5 minutes to stiffen dough before baking.
- Place pies on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C); bake 40 minutes longer. Place on cooling racks; cool completely, about 1 hour, before serving.
- From pie crust scraps, cut out cookie shapes using mini cookie cutters. Moisten with water and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Bake at 350°F for 5 minutes or until golden brown. (Watch carefully, as bake time may vary.) To serve, top each cooled mini pie with a dollop of whipped cream and insert a baked mini cookie.
- For gift giving, bake mini pies without the top crusts. After baking, cool completely. Then, place 1 baked mini cookie on top of each baked pie before adding the lid. Decorate the jar with ribbon.
- If you do not have pumpkin pie spice, you can make your own by combining equal amounts of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice or cloves.