Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 40 min
Turn classic pantry ingredients - canned pumpkin, spices and pecans - into a lazy-morning treat. Thanks to crescent dough, this braid is easy to make and its delicious aroma will surely be a wake-up call for your family!
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) canned pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp (.5 mL) ginger
- 1/8 tsp (.5 mL) nutmeg
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pecans
- 1 can (8 count) Pillsbury™ refrigerated Original Crescents
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar
- 2-3 tsp (10-15 mL) milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. In medium bowl, combine pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and egg yolk; blend well. Stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) pecans.
- Unroll dough onto sprayed baking sheet; firmly press edges and perforations to seal. Press to form 13x7-inch (33x 18 cm) rectangle. Spread filling in 3 1/2-inch (9 cm) wide strip lengthwise down centre of dough rectangle to within 1-inch (2.5 cm) of ends.
- With scissors or sharp knife, make cuts 1-inch (2.5 cm) apart on long sides of dough rectangle just to edge of filling. Fold strips at an angle across filling, overlapping ends and alternating from side to side. Beat egg white in small bowl until foamy; brush over dough.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until deep golden brown. Immediately remove from baking sheet; place on serving platter.
- In small bowl, blend icing sugar and enough milk for desired drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm coffee cake. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped pecans.
- For extra flavour toast pecans before using. Toast in 350°F (180°C) oven for 5 minutes. Stir once. Cool before using.