- 10 cups water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 can (235 g) refrigerated Pillsbury™ Original Crescents (8 count)
- 4 teaspoons sesame seed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher (coarse) salt
- Heat oven to 400°F (200°C). Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, heat 10 cups water and the baking soda to boiling over high heat.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, beat egg and 1 tablespoon water with fork until well mixed. Set aside.
- Unroll dough onto work surface; separate into 8 triangles. Starting at shortest side of each triangle and stretching dough slightly, roll up loosely to opposite point. Bring ends of dough together; pinch lightly.
- Place rolls, 2 at a time, in boiling soda water; cook 30 seconds. With slotted spoon, remove from water; place on paper towel. Repeat with remaining rolls. Lightly brush tops with egg mixture; sprinkle each with sesame seed and pinch of salt.
- Using metal pancake turner, carefully transfer rolls to cookie sheet. If necessary, reshape rolls into pretzel shape.
- Bake 11 to 13 minutes or until deep golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet.
- Pretzels get their delicious, dark brown crust from being poached in a high Ph solution, and in this case, it’s the baking soda added to the water.
- For a new flavour twist, substitute shredded fresh Parmesan cheese for the salt.