- 1 package Pillsbury™ refrigerated Pie Crusts
- 3/4 lb (375 g) ground pork
- 3/4 lb (375 g) lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 3/4 cup/175 mL)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 large potato, peeled and finely diced (about 1 1/4 cups/300 mL)
- 11/4 cups (300 mL) chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground savoury
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) pepper
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) salt (or to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 egg, beaten
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 400°F (200°C). Prepare pie crust according to package directions for “Two-Crust Pie” using a 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate.
- In a large skillet, brown pork and beef with onion and garlic; drain fat. Add potato, chicken broth, savoury, cinnamon, cloves, pepper, salt and bay leaf. Bring to boil; reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes, until potatoes are soft. Stir occasionally, breaking up ground meat. Remove from heat and remove bay leaf.
- Spoon filling into pie crust-lined pie plate, patting mixture down. Top with second crust; seal and flute edges as desired. Cut slits in top crust to vent. Brush with beaten egg. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Instead of making slits in top of crust, take a small cookie cutter (about 1-inch (2.5 cm) in size) and make cut outs on top crust. Place crust on top of filling. Brush bottom of cut outs with water and place cutouts on top of pie crust.