Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 1 hr 5 min
Quinoa, spinach and basil pesto add healthful benefits while Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crusts adds a shortcut to this easy breakfast quiche that is equally well-suited to the dinner table.
- 1/2 package Pillsbury™ refrigerated Pie Crusts, softened as directed on package
- 1 cup provolone cheese, shredded
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed, well drained
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted™
- 1 1/4 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed to drain
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, if desired
- Heat oven to 425°F. Place pie crust in 9 1/2-inch deep-dish glass pie plate as directed on box for One-Crust Filled Pie; flute edge. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle provolone cheese over partially baked crust. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, heat water to boiling over high heat. Stir in quinoa; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 12 to 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat. Fluff with fork. Stir in pesto, pine nuts, spinach and 1 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- In large bowl, beat eggs, half-and-half, salt and pepper with wire whisk until well blended. Gently fold quinoa mixture into eggs. Pour filling into crust. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350°F 30 to 35 minutes longer or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean and edge of crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with basil. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.