Mini Shepherd's Pot Pies
Traditional shepherd’s pie gets a mini makeover in this easy muffin tin recipe. The best part? You can prepare these pies ahead of time and freeze for a later date—perfect to stash away for busy weeknights when you need to get dinner on the table fast.
- 1 package Pillsbury™ refrigerated Pie Crusts, softened as directed on package
- 1/2 lb (250 g) lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup beef flavoured broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- Heat oven to 375°F. Unroll pie crusts. On lightly floured surface, roll or press each crust to 12 inches diameter. Using 4-inch round cutter, cut 6 rounds from each crust.
- Gently press rounds floured-side-down in bottoms and up sides of 12 ungreased regular-size muffin cups. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in flour until blended. Add broth, salt and pepper. Cook about 2 minutes or until mixture thickens. Stir in frozen mixed vegetables. Fill each muffin cup with about 1/4 cup beef mixture.
- Top each with slightly less than 2 tablespoons potatoes. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
- To freeze: After placing pies in muffin cups, wrap muffin pan in foil, and freeze completely. Transfer frozen pies to labeled gallon-size resealable freezer bag. To bake: Heat oven to 375°F. Remove desired number of pies from bag, and place in sprayed muffin cups or ramekins on cookie sheet. Loosely tent with foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray; bake 20 minutes. Remove foil, and bake 8 to 10 minutes longer or until instant-read thermometer inserted in centre reads 165°F.
- Make your own mashed potatoes using instant mashed potatoes.
- If you don’t have a 4-inch round cutter, find a small plate you can cut around using a small knife.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley after baking.