- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb (250 g) ground beef
- 8 oz (250 g) sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) za’atar spice blend
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) bulgur
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground allspice
- 1 can Pillsbury™ refrigerated Pizza Crust
- 4 oz (125 g) goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) coarsely chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) toasted pine nuts
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh mint
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet set over medium heat; cook onion for about 5 minutes or until tender. Crumble in beef; cook for about 5 minutes or until browned. Add mushrooms, za’atar spice blend, salt and pepper; cook for about 10 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan, bring 1 cup (250 mL) water to boil. Stir in bulgur and allspice until well combined. Cover and reduce heat; simmer for about 10 minutes or until bulgur is tender and liquid is absorbed. Let cool completely; combine with beef mixture
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Spray baking sheet with cooking spray. Unroll pizza crust on pan. Starting from center, press out dough with hands to edge of pan.
- Scatter beef mixture over crust and sprinkle with goat cheese. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until crust is golden brown on bottom. Sprinkle with parsley, pine nuts, mint and lemon zest. Cut into squares; brush with olive oil.
- Za’atar spice blend can be found in the spice section or in the international aisle of well-stocked grocery stores.
- Double the mushrooms and omit the beef to make this a vegetarian dish.
- Substitute ground lamb for beef for a flavourful twist.
- Drizzle with plain yogurt for a cool and creamy authentic garnish.