Mediterranean Brunch Braid
Prep Time: 40 min
Total Time: 1 hr 10 min
Pillsbury™ refrigerated pizza crust gives a quick start to this beautiful braided bread, stuffed full of cheeses and fresh ingredients for an elegant yet easy breakfast bake.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green onions (about 24 small)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 box (300 g) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed to drain
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted*
- 1 can Pillsbury™ refrigerated Pizza Crust
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Italian blend
- 4 plum (Roma) tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Fresh basil sprigs, if desired
- Heat oven to 425°F. Spray large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender. Stir in spinach, salt, pepper and chopped basil. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat; set aside.
- In small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, feta cheese and pine nuts; set aside.
- Unroll pizza crust dough on baking sheet. Starting at centre, press out dough into 15x10-inch rectangle. Brush 1 tablespoon oil over dough. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the Italian cheese in 5-inch-wide strip lengthwise down centre of dough. Spoon spinach mixture over cheese. Spread ricotta mixture over spinach. Layer tomato slices, overlapping, on ricotta mixture. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil over tomatoes. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Italian cheese.
- Using kitchen scissors or sharp knife, make cuts 1 inch apart on each long side of rectangle to within 1/2 inch of filling. Fold strips of dough diagonally over filling, alternating from side to side. Turn ends under; press to seal. Brush remaining 1 tablespoon oil over top of braid.
- Bake 18 to 23 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown. Remove from oven. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Italian cheese over top of braid. Bake about 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove from baking sheet to cutting board; cut crosswise into slices. Garnish with basil sprigs.