- 1/2 package Pillsbury™ refrigerated Pie Crusts, softened as directed on package
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) cold water
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sugar
- Heat oven to 450°F. Make pie crust as directed on box for One-Crust Baked Shell using 9-inch glass pie pan. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, mix 1 1/4 cups sugar, the cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in cold water until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- In small bowl, beat egg yolks with fork. Stir about 1/4 cup of hot mixture into egg yolks. Gradually stir yolk mixture into hot mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter, lemon peel and lemon juice. Cool slightly, about 15 minutes. Pour into cooled baked shell.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. In small deep bowl with electric mixer, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla on medium speed about 1 minute or until soft peaks form. On high speed, gradually beat in sugar 1 tablespoon at a time until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spoon meringue onto hot filling; spread to edge of crust to seal well and prevent shrinkage.
- Bake at 350°F 12 to 15 minutes or until meringue is light golden brown. Cool completely, about 1 hour. Refrigerate until filling is set, about 3 hours. Store in refrigerator.