Lemon and Raspberry Cronuts
Prep Time: 30 min
Total Time: 45 min
A top 10 finalist in the 2018 Bake It Possible! recipe contest. This recipe is made with Pillsbury™ Flaky Rolls.
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable oil for frying
- 1 can (5 count) Pillsbury™ refrigerated Flaky Rolls
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) maple sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Betty Crocker™ Whipped Fluffy White frosting
- 1 medium lemon
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raspberry jam
- Fresh raspberries for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large deep pot or a deep fryer to 185°C (about 360°F to 375°F
- Open package of dough and separate into ten biscuits. Using an apple corer or small 2 cm round cookie cutter, cut hole in centre of each biscuit and set aside.
- Place maple sugar on a small plate; set aside. In a small bowl, stir together the frosting with the juice of the lemon and half of the zest (reserve the other half of zest for garnish); set aside. Place raspberry jam into a piping bag fitted with a round tip; set aside.
- Carefully place 3 to 4 cronuts in the hot oil and fry for 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Remove with a skimmer to a paper towel lined pan or rack. While cronuts are still warm, dip bottom and sides in maple sugar (do not dip the top). After frying all ten cronuts, fry the small round holes until golden. Remove to paper towels. Roll cronut holes in maple sugar while still warm.
- Using the piping bag, squeeze jam into the bottom of each cronut in 4 to 5 spots. Re-dip the bottom into the maple sugar.
- Dip the top of each cronut into the prepared glaze and if desired garnish with a sprinkle of lemon zest. Serve with fresh raspberries, if desired.