- 1/2 package Pillsbury™ refrigerated Pie Crusts, softened as directed on package
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 can (398 mL/ 14 fl oz) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 can (370 mL) evaporated mik
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grated orange peel
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) sour cream
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 3 or 4 drops orange gel food colour
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) whipping cream
- Heat oven to 425ºF. Place pie crust in ungreased 9-inch glass pie plate as directed on box for One-Crust Filled Pie.
- Cover crust edge with 2- to 3-inch wide strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. In large bowl, mix filling ingredients. Pour into crust-lined pie plate. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF; bake about 40 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix topping ingredients. Spread over warm pie. Bake 5 minutes longer. Remove foil from crust. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In small resealable freezer plastic bag, place drizzle ingredients; seal bag. Microwave on Medium (50%) about 10 seconds or until softened. Gently squeeze bag until mixture is smooth. If necessary, continue to microwave at 10-second intervals. Cut off tiny corner of bag. Squeeze bag over top of pie to draw a jack-o'-lantern face. Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie.
- Cutting edges on graters come in all sizes. When grating the orange, choose a tiny cutting edge. Press firmly, but not so hard that you cut into the bitter white part of the skin.
- Pumpkin pie spice can be substituted with a mixture of 1/2 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.