- 1 cup (250 mL) uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive or vegetable oil
- 2 medium stalks celery, sliced (about 1 cup/250 mL)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup/250 mL)
- 1 large apple, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups/375 mL)
- 3 cups (750 mL) cut-up cooked turkey
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) turkey or chicken gravy
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried sage leaves
- 1/2 package Pillsbury™ refrigerated Pie Crusts, softened as directed on package
- 1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Spray 2-quart round casserole with cooking spray. Cook rice as directed on package. Spread rice in bottom and 1 inch up side of casserole.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion; cook and stir 5 minutes. Stir in apple; cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in turkey, gravy, salt and sage. Cook and stir about 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Spoon turkey mixture over rice in casserole.
- Unroll pie crust over hot turkey mixture. Fold excess crust under and press to form thick crust edge; flute. Cut slits in several places in crust (to vent the steam).
- Bake about 25 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Serve with cranberry sauce
- If you have time in advance, you can also cook up some wild rice to use in place of the brown rice in this recipe.
- Swap out the turkey for chicken.