Ham and Cheddar Quiche
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 1 hr 25 min
This simple-yet-showstopping quiche preps in just 15 minutes but tastes like you spent hours making it. Pillsbury™ Pie Crust makes quick work of the base, and the filling comes together using simple ingredients, including ham, cheddar cheese and chopped fresh thyme. Bake it all together and serve for a truly delicious brunch dish that wows.
- 1 crust from 1 box (400 g) refrigerated Pillsbury™ Pie Crusts (2 count), softened as directed on box
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves or ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Place pie crust in 9-inch glass pie plate as directed on box for One-Crust Filled Pie. Do not prick crust. Bake 10 minutes. If necessary, use flat bottom of metal measuring cup to carefully press down on baked pie crust to flatten. Cool 10 minutes.
- Layer ham and 1/2 cup of the cheese in bottom of pie plate. In medium bowl, beat eggs and half-and-half with whisk. Stir in 1 teaspoon of the thyme, the salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over ham and cheese. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Cover edge of crust with strips of foil after 15 to 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme. Cut into wedges to serve.
- Prebaking the pie crust produces a browner, sturdier bottom to support the filling.
- Use leftover cooked ham or ham from the deli meat section of the grocery store.
- Don't swap fresh thyme for an equal amount of dried thyme. Dried herbs and seasonings tend to pack a more concentrated flavour than fresh, so results will not be the same with equal substitution.
- Use a pie crust protector shield instead of foil to cover edges of pie crust, if desired.
- Serve quiche with a side of fresh fruit for breakfast or brunch.