- 1/2 package Pillsbury™ refrigerated Pie Crusts, softened as directed on package
- 1.5 L (6 cups ) fresh strawberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 4 to 5 drops red food colour, if desired
- 1 cup (250 mL) sweetened whipped cream
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Bake pie crust as directed on box for One-Crust Baked Shell, using 9-inch glass pie plate. Cool completely on cooling rack, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, crush enough strawberries to make 1 cup. In 2-quart saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch; stir in crushed strawberries and water. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. If desired, stir in food colour. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Place remaining strawberries, whole or sliced, in cooled baked shell. Pour cooked strawberry mixture evenly over berries. Refrigerate until set, about 3 hours, before serving.
- Just before serving, top pie with sweetened whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie.
- Substitute 6 cups fresh raspberries for the strawberries.
- Substitute 6 cups sliced peeled fresh peaches for the strawberries. Omit red food color.