Freezer-Friendly Mini Chicken Pot Pies
Prep Time: 30 min
Total Time: 60 min
We're obsessed with these Freezer-Friendly Mini Chicken Pot Pies, and here's why: They have all the great flavours of a full-size pie but with the added convenience and flexibility of smaller portion sizes. Bake as many as you need at a time for an easy meal!
- 1 box (400 g) refrigerated Pillsbury™ Pie Crusts (2 count), softened as directed on box
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped deli rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Unroll pie crusts. On lightly floured surface, roll or press each crust to 13-inch diametre. Cut five (5-inch) rounds from each crust.
- Gently press rounds floured-side-down in bottoms and up sides of 10 ungreased regular-size muffin cups.
- In 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat; cook onion in butter 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is tender. Stir in flour until blended. Add milk, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens. Stir in chicken and frozen peas and carrots. Fill each muffin cup with about 1/4 cup chicken mixture. Fold and crimp pie crust over filling (centre will be open).
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crusts are lightly browned. Cool 5 minutes; carefully run knife around edge of each pie to loosen.
- To Make Ahead and Freeze: After placing unbaked pies in muffin cups, wrap muffin pan in foil, and freeze completely, about 2 hours. Once pies are frozen, run knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove from muffin tin. Wrap each in plastic wrap, and place frozen pies in large resealable freezer plastic bag. To bake: Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Remove desired number of frozen pies from bag, and place in sprayed muffin cups or ramekins on cookie sheet. Loosely tent with foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray; bake 20 minutes. Remove foil; bake 20 to 24 minutes longer or until filling is bubbly and crust is light golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; carefully run knife around edge of pie to loosen.
- Use cooked leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken from the store for this recipe.
- Peas and carrots are traditional vegetables used in chicken pot pie; however, feel free to use other vegetables, such as cut green beans or frozen mixed vegetables.
- Use a small plate or the top of a bowl to cut out the 5-inch circles from the pie crust.