Dutch Apple Pie
Prep Time: 25 min
Total Time: 4 hr 20 min
What to do with your apple orchard haul? Bake apple pie, of course! Our Dutch Apple Pie features a fresh apple filling and sweet crumb topping baked in a Pillsbury™ Pie Crust for a delicious dessert you'll want to repeat all season long.
- 1 crust from 1 box (400 g) refrigerated Pillsbury™ Pie Crusts (2 count)
- 6 cups sliced cored peeled apples
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place piece of foil on oven rack below middle rack to catch drips. Heat oven to 400°F (200°C). Place pie crust in 9-inch glass pie plate as directed on box for One-Crust Filled Pie.
- In large bowl, toss Filling ingredients until evenly coated. Spoon into crust-lined pie plate, mounding apples toward centre.
- In medium bowl, mix Topping ingredients, using pastry blender or fork until crumbs form. Sprinkle over apples.
- Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until pie crust and crumb topping are deep golden brown and filling begins to bubble. After 15 minutes of baking, cover top of pie and crust loosely with foil to prevent excessive browning. Transfer to cooling rack. Cool at least 3 hours before serving.
- Choose an apple variety that works best for apple pie—one that is firm to the bite with a sweet-tart flavour. Our favourites include Granny Smith, Honeycrisp and Golden Delicious.
- Serve with vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.
- While warm, fresh-from-the-oven apple pie is tempting, it's important to let the pie cool almost completely so the filling is set. Otherwise, you'll end up with messy slices that, while still tasty, don't hold together well.