- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cans (8 count each) Pillsbury™ refrigerated Original Crescents
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed
- Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). In large skillet, cook beef and onions until thoroughly cooked; drain.
- Stir in tomato paste, parsley, basil, oregano, garlic, and pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine Parmesan cheese, cottage cheese and egg.
- Separate both cans of dough into 4 long rectangles. Place dough rectangles side by side on ungreased large baking sheet; seal perforations. Press to form 15x13-inch (38x33 cm) rectangle.
- Spoon half the meat filling in a 6-inch (15 cm) wide strip lengthwise down centre of dough to within 1-inch (2.5 cm) of short sides.
- Spoon cheese filling over meat filling; spoon remaining meat filling evenly over cheese filling.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over top of meat filling. Fold short sides of dough 1-inch (2.5 cm) over filling.
- Fold long sides of dough tightly over filling, overlapping edges in centre 1/4-inch (6 mm); firmly pinch centre seam and ends to seal. Brush with milk; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake 23 to 27 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Try substituting creamy ricotta cheese for cottage cheese in this scrumptious take on an old time classic.