- 2 cans (5 count each) Pillsbury™ Grands!™ refrigerated Cinnamon Rolls With Icing
- canola oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup sugar (optional)
- 2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Open the tubes of cinnamon rolls and separate the rolls, removing the container of frosting.
- If you’re making doughnuts, make a hole in each roll, shaping the dough into a doughnut shape, gently sealing the dough around the cinnamon filling - there’s no need to be perfect here.
- To make churros, unroll each cinnamon roll and cut each strip of dough crosswise into thirds.
- Twist each piece, containing any chunks of cinnamon filling inside the twisted dough where you can. (Again, no need to be perfect here.)
- Set a heavy, shallow pot over medium-high heat and add about two inches of oil. Heat until the oil is hot, but not smoking - if you have a thermometer, it should read about 350°F, or a scrap of bread should sizzle when you dip it in.
- Carefully lower 3-4 doughnuts or churros into the pot at a time, without crowding. Cook for about a minute on the first side, or until it’s golden, then carefully flip with tongs or a slotted spoon and cook for a minute on the other side. If the dough is browning too quickly, reduce the heat.
- As they cook, transfer to a paper towel lined plate or cookie sheet.
- If you’re making doughnuts, scrape the containers of frosting into a shallow dish and microwave for 15 seconds, or until runny
- Dip the top of each doughnut in the frosting to coat the top half, then set aside for a few minutes to set.
- If you’re making churros, stir together the sugar and cinnamon in a shallow dish (save the frosting for another use) and roll the churros around in the sugar to coat while they’re still warm.
- Makes 10 doughnuts or 30 churros.