Chinese BBQ Chicken Buns
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 35 min
Shredded chicken is coated in a sweet and tangy sauce, accented with Chinese five-spice powder (a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise and Szechwan peppercorns), then wrapped in tender crescent rolls.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) prepared chicken and rib barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded cooked chicken
- 1 can (8 count) Pillsbury™ refrigerated Original Crescents
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) alfalfa sprouts
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together barbecue sauce, hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, garlic, Chinese five-spice powder and sesame oil. In bowl, combine 1/2 cup (125 mL) sauce with shredded chicken. Reserve remaining sauce.
- Separate dough into 4 rectangles. Spoon chicken mixture over one half of each rectangle; fold dough over, without sealing to enclose filling. Arrange on prepared pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown on bottom and chicken is heated through. Fill buns with carrot, alfalfa sprouts and green onions; drizzle with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Use leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken to make the filling.
- Also delicious with pulled pork.
- Drizzle with hot sriracha sauce before serving for a spicy finish.