- 1/3 cup (75 mL) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) almond extract
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
- 1 can (8 count) Pillsbury™ refrigerated Original Crescents
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) milk
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Grease baking sheet with shortening. In small bowl, beat cream cheese and granulated sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Stir in almond extract, almonds and cherries; set aside.
- Unroll dough onto baking sheet; press into 13x7-inch rectangle, firmly pressing perforations to seal. Spoon cream cheese mixture lengthwise down centre 1/3 of rectangle.
- On each long side of dough rectangle, make cuts 1 inch apart to edge of filling. Fold opposite strips of dough over filling and cross in centre to form a braided appearance; seal ends.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In small bowl, mix icing sugar and milk until smooth; drizzle over coffee cake. If desired, garnish with additional sliced almonds and cherries. Store in refrigerator.
- Make the coffee cake up to 2 hours ahead of time; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Uncover and bake as directed in the recipe.