- 4 fresh bratwurst
- 1 can (235 g) refrigerated Pillsbury™ Original Crescents (8 count)
- 1/4 cup spicy coarse-grained mustard
- 1 cup sauerkraut, well drained on paper towels
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat enough water to cook bratwurst to boiling. Add bratwurst; boil 8 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Drain; set aside.
- Unroll dough; separate into 4 rectangles and press seams to seal. Use knife to make 4 angled slices on short sides of each rectangle, leaving about 3 inches of uncut dough in centre.
- Spread 1 tablespoon mustard over uncut dough of each rectangle. Spread about 1/4 cup sauerkraut over mustard on each; top each with 1 cooked bratwurst. Bring dough strips up over bratwurst on each to form a braid. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Brush each with beaten egg; sprinkle with pepper.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until deep golden brown. If desired, serve with extra mustard.
- Serve with beans or potato salad for a heartier German-inspired dinner.
- Don't like sauerkraut? Try switching it out with sliced avocado for a creamier brat!
- Add a slice of cheese before baking to take things to the next level!