Apple Upside-Down Pie
Put a twist on your family's favourite dessert with this fun and easy Apple Upside-Down Pie. This unique take on traditional apple pie gets an added crunch from a sweet caramelized brown sugar pecan topping. Best of all, Pillsbury™ Pie Crust does all the heavy lifting, so you can prep your upside-down apple pecan pie in 25 minutes. Nothing makes any occasion feel extra-special like a downright delicious upside-down pie.
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 box (400 g) refrigerated Pillsbury™ Pie Crusts (2 count), softened as directed on box
- 6 cups thinly sliced, peeled tart apples (about 4 medium apples)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). In small bowl, mix brown sugar and melted butter. Spread evenly in bottom of ungreased 9-inch glass pie plate; sprinkle with pecans. Place unrolled pie crust over mixture, allowing excess crust to hang over sides.
- In large bowl, gently mix apples, granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; spoon onto crust in pie plate.
- Top with second unrolled pie crust. Press edges of crust together, fold under and crimp. Cut slits in several places in top crust. Place pie plate on foil-lined rimmed baking pan.
- Bake 50 minutes. If necessary, cover crust edge with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning; continue baking 10 to 15 minutes longer or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Cool on cooling rack 10 minutes. Carefully turn pie upside down onto heatproof serving plate. Remove pie plate; replace any pecan mixture. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
- We like to use a tart baking apple such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady for this Apple Upside-Down Pie. Try using a combination of apples for great flavour.
- Since some pies have a tendency to bubble over during baking, we recommend placing a pie plate on top of a foil-lined baking pan to catch any potential drips. This is a great way to ease the cleanup while making your upside-down apple pecan pie.